Saturday, September 14, 2019

Drowning a Mermaid

Drowning A Mermaid

I'm told it's often said by glorious ghosts  
Who haunt the Courts of Higher Excellence 
That survivors are not like the rest of us:
They survive and we are born to die.

It made no sense to think of you as young
Or of ourselves as three or four times older  
Than you would ever be. There was no point   
In asking where you learned to paint like that 

And if I'm ever asked, I say: From you.
But the virtue of your line was no defence
Against the kind of curiosity 
That kills the artist and ignores the art. 

The Mark Of Destiny (it has no formal title)
Derives its quasi-mystical authority 
From the stealth and anonymity with which 
It makes a promise found a promise kept

And steals the gift that makes the promise true.
It made no sense to think of you as young
Until the Mark Of Destiny contrived 
To make the child a child celebrity.

It's not enough to work; you must be seen 
And if you can't you must be seen to fail.
To go on working once your work is known 
Displays an arrogant refusal to engage.

Someone somewhere claimed - or may have claimed 
(The source was vague, but the authority 
Was unimpeachable) - that you had used 
Your age as an excuse for saying nothing

When it was clearly your responsibility 
As an artist and a seven-year-old 
To speak, when asked, of justice and the world 
And of the glory of the Lord our God.

My long sabbatical was an opportunity 
To swap the squalor of my little shed  
For three thousand years of maritime disaster 
And a tideless wilderness of dirty water.

I've occupied the best years of my life  
Among the wreckage of a world of ships.
The chambermaid has brought a cup of tea
And I'm amazed that I am still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment