Thursday, December 27, 2018

The Account

The Account

There are many ways to achieve greatness, said Brodie,
Acknowledging the applause like a man holding up traffic –
This is one that worked for me.
And I watched him strip the girls in the front row
To their undies, figuratively speaking, as they leaned forward
To catch every nuance of his slithering tongue.
You might think I despise Brodie, or even pity him,
But you must remember that I’ve been there, done that,
And had a wife, a dog and a hearth
To show that men can change.

I’ve been lucky. Death always followed me
At a respectful distance, like an accomplished spy,
And my secrets have never been desperate enough
To die for. But Brodie reminds me of how it ends,
How it always ends when you live like a lunatic.
Nobody feels confident enough to mourn
And only comedians remember you.

The Great Receptionist looks up from his desk
And asks the usual questions. His understanding smile
Says he’s not afraid of parables.
I tell him about the things I hoped to achieve
And he gazes at me through the sky, patiently
Waiting to hear how it always ends.  He checks the form
And says: Occupation? He’s pleased to note
I have no regrets. And then he picks up his quill
And writes: Vagabond.

No comments:

Post a Comment